Researchers & Research
With $824 million submitted in FY22 for research activities, we are tackling the most pressing and complex challenges of our time, from climate change to planetary defense, and pandemic preparedness to the long-term health of our troops.
Research conducted by University of Arizona scientists already fortifies many aspects of national defense and has the potential to contribute much more to the field.
The university’s research and development capacities are on great footing:
- Ranked in the top 4% of public universities in research and development, with total funding reaching $770 million in 2021
- Cleared to work with Top Security and Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI)
- Home to the nation’s largest optical sciences program
- No. 1 in astronomy and astrophysics
- No. 5 in physical sciences
- 418+ U.S. patents issued
- 1,878+ invention disclosures